WARNING: Major scrappy geekiness and overanalyticalness ahead. So if you’re not into scrapbooking, please feel free to skim right on by in your reader. :-)
So excited to find this blog! Check it out here. Each month, they pick a kit to “counterfeit” with their stash, duplicating the patterned papers, embellishments, etc. with things they already own to create a kit for $0. LOVE THIS CONCEPT and am completely kicking myself that I never considered it before! T swears I have, but I don’t think so… I would make homemade kits all the time, but I never thought to try to duplicate a kit that I was jonesing after when I had enough things in my stash already… Such brilliance.
So, this month, the kit is from Studio Calico and looks like this:
And I spent a couple minutes here and there during trips to the bathroom, pulling together the elements for my version:
I wanted to take a picture, setting it all up exactly like the SC pic, so you could easily see what I had chosen for each piece, but I was so inspired by this that I was 1.5 layouts in before I remembered that! So… I had snapped this with my phone so that I could remember what I had put in my kit while I sketched layout ideas in bed. Basically, here’s how it matches up:
Cardstock for cardstock. I had every color they had in their kit, so that worked perfectly.
SC : Me
- Big ledger paper : 8.5×11 vellum ledger paper
- squirrels & circles : scattered trees (You might think I should have picked the Love, Elsie paper for that one, but it’s actually for something else)
- yellow rickrack print : orange diamond patterned print
- big orange flowers : Love, Elsie paper, because most of those circles are different versions of big orange flowers…
- woodgrain paper : (I swear I have some, I have some cool cardstock woodgrain paper, and I thought I had a Hambly overlay, but I can’t locate them…) big scrap of Hambly overlay in vintage wallpaper (I think) in chocolate brown
- orange geometric print : AC multi-colored circles print
- die-cut label paper : scalloped white cs
- green circle patterned paper : generic green patterned cardstock
- kraft with white pattern : tan pp with a grid and leaves print
The perfection with how all the colors match is geekily exciting to me. :-) A close-up of the papers and cardstock:
SC : Me
- JBS chipboard stars : random chipboard stars
- yellow buttons: variety of matching (and some handmade!) buttons
- yellow letter stickers: yellow Thickers in vinyl
- SL green letter stickers : BG letter stickers in green/burgundy
- Orange labels, tags, and arrows : chipboard labels and tags in a woodsy theme and some label, tag, and arrow stamps
- Woodgrain fabrips : Woodgrain stamp
- Bee stamp : bee stamp
- Then I stuck in the Maya Road rub-ons because I’m incapable of having a kit with absolutely NO black in it, plus they matched the theme and I have been wanting to use them. :-)
A close-up of the embellies:
And… last but not least….
yellow title block and mushroom journaling card : journaling spots, ready to alter!
Like I said, I’ve already made 1.5 layouts. I am still on bedrest, of course, and it is next to impossible to scrapbook in bed. But I am stealing a couple minutes here and there amidst trips to the kitchen or bathroom, and using a timer so I don’t get carried away. I’ve been working on this since Saturday… It took me 2 days just to get the kit together, then another 3 days for the layouts so far. :-) Slooooow going, but so worth it, I need this outlet like crazy. :-)
There are add-on kits to lift, too, but I am sticking with this one for now, and once I run out of layout ideas (I think I have 4 right now), I’ll pick an add-on to counterfeit and use with the remainders of my main kit counterfeit. So much fun!!!